Settling in After Relocating to Atlanta, Georgia
You’ve sold your home, found a new home, signed the dotted line, and have begun moving into your new home. Whew. That’s a lot. And your relocation isn’t even finished yet!
Now, it’s time to settle into your new Atlanta residence to make it feel like home. Fortunately, this is the fun part! And you can make the entire relocation process a little easier for your family by using these tips and resources from the real estate professionals at the Mary Ellen Vanaken Team.
Make It Official
First of all, let’s talk about some menial-but-essential tasks that you will need to take care of as soon as you move in (or before).
● Research the nearest DMV office so that you can update your license, registration and/or insurance as needed.
● Notify all your banks, insurance companies, and other relevant businesses about your change of address.
● Call to set up your essential utilities (e.g., electricity, gas, water, etc.).
● While you’re at it, establish your internet, cable subscription, and any other services you will need.
Get Safe and Comfortable
Once you have the official stuff out of the way, it’s time to ensure that your new home is safe and comfortable for your family!
● Change the locks, and consider installing a smart home security system.
● Head to the grocery store for ingredients that will allow you to cook some quick and easy food for the first couple of weeks.
● Use a fast and practical system for unpacking your kitchen, bedrooms, and bathrooms.
● Do a walkaround inside the home to assess whether any modifications need to be made for accessibility to prevent slips or falls.
Meet the Area
Your relationship to your community is a big part of settling into your new home. Here are a few quick tips for meeting people and seeing what the area offers:
● Walk around the neighborhood to meet your neighbors.
● Host a housewarming party, and don’t forget to give out some party favors!
● Explore various establishments in the area, such as restaurants, coffee shops, and markets.
Whether you’ve moved locally or out of state, settling into a new home can be challenging. But if you know what steps to take and make a plan, it doesn’t have to be overwhelming. Along with utilizing the tips and resources above, be sure to come up with a solid plan and allow yourself some grace in the process!
Are you planning to relocate to Atlanta? To help make your transition easier, work with the expert real estate agents at the Mary Ellen Vanaken Team to find the perfect neighborhood and home to lay down roots. Reach out today to get started! (770) 663-7291